Travelling to Mexico

Types of Visas in Mexico

Q. What is required to visit Mexico?

A. All passengers traveling to Mexico by land or air are required to possess a valid passport. All passports, regardless of the country of issue, MUST be valid for a minimum period of 180 days from the time they enter Mexico, regardless of the actual intended stay. The FMT visa is only valid for up to a total of 180 consecutive days. The FMT Visa fee is about $28.00 USD, and is included in price of airline ticket when flying to Mexico.

Q. Is it safe to travel to Mexico?

A. Yes. Mexico is a large country with small pockets of crime, just like any other country. The majority of its cities and states are very safe with low crime rates. Millions of people travel in and out of Mexico every year by air, sea, bus or car. If driving across the border, travellers should check with their consulates to verify any border towns that have travel warnings issued when planning their route.

Q. What is the transportation like?

A. Frequent flights, good highways, and convenient bus service that is inexpensive makes travelling to Mexico easy. In larger cities like Puerto Vallarta there are also many taxi’s and car rental companies available. Prices are negotiable, and vary greatly.

Q. Who needs a FM3 Visa?

A. Foreigners who reside in Mexico for more than six consecutive months and those wishing to work in Mexico.

Q. What do I need to get a FM3?

A. You will need your original passport, a photocopy of all pages of your passport, a current FMT Tourist Card Visa, three months of your most recent bank statements,
proof of an address in Mexico and five black and white photographs (4X4 cm), with three facing front and two showing your right profile. (These requirements should be verified as current).

Q. Can I bring my car or truck into Mexico?

A. Yes. You will be required to obtain a temporary Mexico vehicle registration permit which is valid for up to 180 days and can be obtained in clearly marked areas shortly after you cross the border into Mexico. You will need a valid passport and FMT tourist card, your vehicle registration/title and a major credit card in the name of the person driving the vehicle into Mexico. You will be given a temporary importation permit along with a sticker for the inside of your vehicle’s windshield.

Below you will find the hours of operation of common US-Mexico border points.

Arizona Border Points
Agua Prieta……Daily, 24 hrs.
Naco……Daily, 8:00 am to midnight
Nogales……Daily, 24 hrs.
San Luis Rio Colorado……Daily, 24 hrs.
Sonoyta……Daily, 24 hrs.

California Border Points
Mexicali……Daily, 24 hrs.
Otay Mesa……Daily, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
Tecate……Daily, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Tijuana…Mon-Fri, 8:00am to 10:00 pm, Sat, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm, Sun, noon to 4:00 pm

Texas Border Points
Ciudad Juarez……Daily, 24 hrs.
Ciudad Miguel Alem¡n……Daily, 24 hrs.
Columbia……Mon-Fri, 10:00 am to 6:00 pm
General Rodrigo M. Quevedo……Daily, 24 hrs.
Matamoros……Daily, 24 hrs.
Nuevo Laredo……Daily, 24 hrs.
Ojinaga…..Mon-Fri, 7:30 am to 9:00 pm, Sat, 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Sun, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Piedras Negras……Daily, 24 hrs.
Reynosa……Daily, 24 hrs.

Q. What are the major public holidays in Mexico?

  • January 1st
    Nuevo – New Year’s Day
  • February 5th
    Dia de la Constitucion – Constitution Day
  • February 24th
    Dia de la Bandera – Mexico’s National Flag Day
  • May 1st
    Dia del Trabajo – Labor Day
  • May 5th
    Cinco de Mayo – Victory over France in Puebla
  • September 16th
    Dia de la Independencia – Independence Day (from Spain)
  • October 12th
    Dia de La Raza – Columbus discovery of the new world
  • November 20th
    Dia de la Revolucion – Anniversary of the 1910 Mexican Revolution
  • December 25th
    Dia de Navidad – Christmas Day